Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The cows...

Today was nice, sun shining and we actually reached 40 degrees - a heat wave here of late. Went to do morning chores and was greeted by the bleats, barks, meows, clucks and moos of each animal until it was their turn to receive their feed. Have had to schedule trips to the barn to break the ice in all the water buckets. After morning chores I allowed the animals to remain in their stalls until it warmed a little more, after lunch I made my way back out to them to let them out and Again (the larger of the steers) has obviously started looking at me as a play mate and began to romp and play and try to chase me...it tussled with him a little, but think that I need to get him out of this habit, as very soon he is going to outweigh me and this could hurt! I redirected his attention to his brother and they both began to run and kick around the pen and forget me for a while all together.

Kids have been amazing with getting back into school after two weeks off for Christmas - I was really expecting a little more resistance, but am pleasantly surprised and VERY happy and proud!

We are also beginning to plan next years garden and all the delicious foods we can get from there. We have been blessed for two years now with our work and effort out there and look forward to may years of this. I am wishing for potatoes, corn, beans, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and still dreaming of more - we shall see...

Noticed today that the pantry shelf has one last home made jelly on it - fortunately we canned some juices and I am fixing to replenish it soon. I love having the needed items on hand.

Also realized what a country girl I am - I got my mail order rubber boots in this week and was so excited! Sad to retire my bright pink ones - they've gotten good wear and done me well, but can not longer keep the water out! Had to go with a black with white flower print as I could not find any pink ones in my size - bummer! Tried them out yesterday - my toes were warm and dry!

Looking back over this post - I am easily made happy and content - aren't I? Gotta love the simple life!

No comments:

Post a Comment